Spicy Lamb Stew
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp ground mustard seed
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp crushed bay leaf
1/2 cup flour
3 tbsp garlicky oil
2-3 small to medium tomatoes
approximately 1 lb “lamb stew” or lamb shoulder or stewing lamb trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup water
1. Mix all spices in a bowl and set aside.
2. Dice carrots, tomatoes and zucchini. Set aside.
3. Place 2 Tbsp garlicky oil in frying pan. Chop onion & cook in the oil on a medium flame, loosely covered while preparing the meat.
4. Wash meat & dry thoroughly with a paper towel.
5. Put flour & one tsp of the spice mixture in a plate and mix. Place meat on top & toss in flour/spice mixture until evenly coated.
6. Add meat to frying pan & brown on all sides.
7. Add carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, water & remaining spices.
8. Lower flame & allow to simmer for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Delicious over rice or potatoes and alongside a bitter green.